7 top tips for for avulsed (knocked out) teeth:
1. Avulsed primary teeth (baby teeth) do not need to be replaced back into the mouth.
2. Avulsed permanent teeth need to be replanted as soon as possible.
3. If the tooth is contaminated, rinse with water. Do not rub to remove debris.
4. Handle tooth only by the crown (top), try not to touch the bottom, or root surface.
5. Do not scrape or brush the root surface.
6. Place tooth in milk, saliva, or saline solution. If none of these are available, use water.
7. The patient should be seen by a professional as soon as possible, within 1 hour
As the warm weather approaches, and we head outdoors to enjoy recreational sports and activities, it is a good idea to be prepared for common injuries. If there is any sign of head injury, that should be evaluated first by medical personnel. Once head injury is ruled out, the patient should see a professional for the treatment of the avulsed tooth.